Explosion proof industrial fans
Explosion-proof fans cut right across the industrial spectrum of applications and the need for them may be found in almost any industry
A fine powder, such as flour or coal can be highly combustible, as are many highly volatile gaseous compounds such as methane, ethylene oxide, coal gas and many others that fans are used to transport.
Explosion-proof fans must not simply fail to initiate combustion, but should combustion take place within the fan, it should withstand that explosion without rupture or transmitting ignition externally to the fan. Halifax Fan builds fans to the most demanding levels of the ATEX 94/9/EC directive, an internationally recognised standard for explosion-proof equipment.
ATEX fans at the most demanding level may require, among other features, ATEX certified accelerometers and vibration sensors, inlet and outlet flame arrestors, water cooled and purged dual-cartridge mechanical shaft seals, brass rubbing strips internally and stainless steel casings designed and tested to +10bar.
Halifax Fan has extensive experience of designing and manufacturing fans to the most demanding explosion-proof specifications and is recognised globally as a go-to supplier for ATEX fans.
Common fan features
- Gas-tight bearings to isolate potentially dangerous gases within the case
- Shaft sealing from simple seals through to nitrogen or water-purged carbon ring seals
- Impeller inspection hatches
- Acoustic and thermal lagging solutions.
- Inlet / outlet silencers as well as complete acoustic chambers
- Inlet Guide Vane, louvre, butterfly or guillotine dampers
- Safety guards and electrical isolators
- Ambient air inlet filters and silencers
- Ability to withstand internal explosions
- ATEX in-house testing and certification
Get in touch with our team today
We can advise, design, manufacture and service industrial centrifugal fans from simple combustion fans to complex high temperature hazardous gas handling applications wherever you are in the world.